Wednesday, September 16, 2009

If the Stars Were Mine, I'd Bake You Mint-Filled Brownie Cupcakes


Tonight was a relaxing little jazzy interlude from a busy day. I got my hair cut at Lemon Spalon, met Dave at home with cupcakes from The Cupcakery, had a lovely laid-back Qdoba dinner, and then walked with Dave to browse music at Vintage Vinyl on The Loop. I came away with two CDs I've been dying for by a jazz artist I just love: Melody Gardot.

We came home and twirled around the kitchen to "Our Love is Easy" as the Mint-Filled Brownie Cupcakes I baked for the class I teach on Monday and Wednesday nights did their thing in our little gas oven. I turn 31 on Thursday, and I believe birthdays should always be celebrated. Another year of life is another year of life, and for each year I'm given, I'm eternally grateful.

So, I'd like to wrap my baked goods in ribbons and give them all to you, loyal readers and dear friends. Here's to another year of life, love, and learning! Thanks for supporting me along the sweets-filled journey.

Mint-Filled Brownie Cupcakes
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes

Makes 2 dozen cupcakes

Ingredients
16 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
6 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
24 small chocolate-covered peppermint patties (Hello, York!)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Place chocolate and butter in the top pan of a double boiler--not in the pan of simmering water. Stir occassionally until just melted, 4-5 minutes.

2. Remove bowl from heat. Whisk sugar and salt until mixture is smooth; whisk in eggs. Stir in flour and cocoa until smooth, but don't overmix.

3. Spoon 1 heaping tbsp. of batter into each lined cup. Place one patty on top, pressing into batter. Top with 2 tbsps. batter, covering patty completely. Bake, rotating tin halfway through, until the cake tester comes out with only a few moist crumbs (um, I use toothpicks... doesn't everyone?). In other words, bake the cupcakes for about 35 minutes. Transfer tin to a wire rack and cool completely before removing cupcakes.

Enjoy!

Hugs, high fives and 31 birthday candles,
Kella

4 comments:

Elie said...

This post makes me feel good. (It also makes me hungry!) Thanks : )

Kella said...

You're so welcome, lovely Elie! I got your Fulbright recommendation too. I cannot wait to glow and rave all about you. If you end up in Peru or Ecuador, I'm going to come visit. I'll bring something yummy to you while you're living here, though. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about you & Dave twirling around the kitchen. that, along with the mint cupcakes, sure does sound good.

Kella said...

Thanks, Nishta J. I hope the same for you and Jill. I think you two have an awesome relationship, so dancing better be involved.

And our twirling is kind of clumsy, but we had a blast. I think I have a problem with leading too much though... Giggles.