Friday, February 27, 2009

Welcome!


"A Girl and Her Oven" is a silly title for a fun experiment—to share photographs and stories of recipes I try every week in the midst of the busy blur of my everyday life. I hold no culinary degree or certificate. I never had an Easy-Bake Oven. I don’t have a top-of-the-line oven in my spacious University City, Missouri apartment. I simply have the desire to slow down, discover a killer sourdough starter, write while the timer’s going, and bake.

My promise to readers is four-fold:
1) Have fun and be honest about what works and what doesn’t (and why),
2) Try at least a different recipe every week (and blog about it), and
3) Find inspiration in bakeries and books (and a lot of places and people in between), &
4) Share what I’m learning in the process.

In the meantime, this week’s first recipe will be something sweet. My best friend Jenna is in town from Florida, and I have to whip up a no-fuss dessert for the event since I’m still hobbling along on crutches (your Achilles tendon is a very important part of your body, so treat it well).

Hmmm. Cupcakes have been done this evening; not ones I’ve made, but theirs. I love the lemony and red-velvety goodness of their mini-cakes (moist, non-cloyingly sweet, and just the right size), but cake has already been done (at least for this weekend).

So, I’ve been give the mission to make a dessert that pairs well with margaritas. We shall see what my humble oven cooks up on Sunday. Until then, thanks for reading!

No comments: